It’s December 17th and if you’re a believer in Mayan history, then you may think that the world is about to come to an end on December 21st. In my realistic mind, I know that when I wake up on December 22, the world will still be here, but for shits and giggles, let’s pretend that we only have a few more days on this planet.
How would you choose to spend your time? Do you have any regrets, last wishes, desires?
When I was growing up, I kept journals – lots and lots of them – which may explain my love for blogging. Fortunately, I still have almost 100% of the journals I kept so I can go back and read what was on my mind in the 1980s, the 1990s, and the 2000s. As a “tween” and later teenager, I often kept lists of things I wish I could have or could do. In my purple journal with the big pink heart on it, I had a consistent list that read “I want to find a boyfriend” or “I wish someone would love me back” (cue the world’s tiniest violin, please).
So, in the spirit of history (both Mayan and my own), I’m going to make a list of my wishes, regrets, and desires. And should I wake on on Dec 22 with the world still spinning on its axis, then I will make a commitment to make the items on this list come true:
1. Get a fabulous job! Some of you know; some of you don’t know, but I’m transitioning out of my current job (which was a great learning experience!) and am currently seeking a new opportunity. I am really excited about this and am relishing the process of finding the right fit.
2. Go out and date more! You would think that because I write a dating blog, that I date a lot. There have been times in my life when I’ve dated a lot, but lately, I’ve been consumed with the home buying process and now job search, so I need to focus more on dating a bit more. It only takes one, blah blah blah.
3. Continue to challenge myself! And I’m not talking about sitting alone at an airport bar or catching a movie on my own. I’m talking about stepping out of my comfort zone, which seems to be happily expanding more and more each day, and committing to do the things which I may not want to do….
4. Weight Loss! Listen, this is a touchy subject but I cannot deny that I am overweight. And I know I’m already working on it, but saying it out loud seems to help.
5. TBD. I’m leaving #5 blank so I can fill it in AFTER the Apocalypse.
See you on Dec 22. If anyone needs me between now and then, I’ll be busy building my arc in China.